El Segundo, California, United States
Successful candidate for Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer will architect thermal systems and conduct thermal analysis for space flight missions as well as IRAD/CRAD space programs. They will perform analysis tasks independently and will often lead a larger design/analysis team. Engineering tasks will typically be for EO/IR or RF hardware designs with analysis tasks for evaluating orbital conditions, sizing heaters, straps, and isolators, and performing STOP analysis. Thermal engineering support will be provided through all phases of the program life-cycle, from proposal, to conceptual design/requirements derivation, to PDR/CDR, and build/test/delivery. The Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer will work to influence the efficiency and suitability of the thermal design and may support internal design reviews.
- 10+ years of experience with thermal analysis
- Expert with commercial Finite Element Analysis codes, preferably Thermal Desktop, NX, TMG, SINDA, or similar will be considered.
- Expert domain knowledge of heatpipes, cryocoolers, TEC, and other thermal hardware
- Experience with using hand-calculations for thermal analysis using Excel, Matlab, TK Solver, or other.
- Experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to discuss technical material with others.
- Ability to solve difficult moderate problems by applying basic scientific principles, theories and concepts.
- Relevant thermal experience within the last 2 years
- Needs to have an active and current TS/SCI clearance
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access US only data systems.
- Experience in planning, preparation, and execution of TVAC test
- Knowledge of commercial CAD software, such as Pro/E or similar
- Ability to read detailed engineering drawings and specifications
BS in Mechanical Engineering or related field from accredited university.
MS or PhD in related field from an accredited university.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) builds radars and other sensors for aircraft, spacecraft and ships. The business also provides communications and electronic warfare solutions and performs research in areas ranging from linguistics to quantum computing. SAS is headquartered in McKinney, Texas USA. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world — in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts. Follow us on Twitter.
JBRaytheon / An Equal Opportunity Employer