Seattle WA US
Site Lead for Checked Baggage Inline TSA projects
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Leidos has a job opportunity for a Checked Baggage Inline Site Lead for the TSA’s Transportation Security Equipment Deployments (TEDS) contract in support of Baggage Technology deployments. Due to heavy travel requirements (75%) to airports throughout the United States this specialist may be based out of any CONUS location.
NOTE: The funding for this position is contingent upon award from our Government customer. This position will allow for telecommuting and can be supported from anywhere in the continental United States.
This position encompasses the full project lifecycle management as the site lead for inline baggage handling system (BHS) projects at airports across the United States. While the BHS projects are designed and installed by airport-hired contractors, they are funded by TSA and the Site Lead will act as TSA’s eyes and ears on the site. The position involves, risk identification and mitigation, coordination, communication, report development, drawing review/comment, schedule tracking, rigging subcontractor oversight, installation oversight, Test Readiness Review evaluation of systems, and project sell-off / close-out of security systems related to the baggage equipment deployments at federalized airports throughout the US. In addition, the site lead will validate the airport sponsor’s requests for reimbursement from TSA to confirm the work being invoiced has been performed. The position will support the TSA TEDS program to maintain, upgrade, and move the established airport security system to the next generation of capability.
The successful candidate will be responsible as the Site Lead at assigned airports, including coordination, design support, communication, project status and schedule updates, developing statement of work bid packages, perform Test Readiness Reviews (TRRs), witness test/checkout by TSA independent contractor, airport invoice reviews, and project close out.
• The candidate will be responsible for managing up to 8 projects at various life cycle stages concurrently.
• The candidate will be responsible for periodically visiting each airport and attending airport run construction and planning meetings.
• The candidate will be responsible for developing various reports (i.e. Weekly Status Reports, Update TSA managed Integrated Master Schedule, Site Lead Input Sheets, Trip Reports, Decommission Reports, and Test Readiness Notification ) and subcontractor statements of work (e.g. rigging).
• The candidate may be required to guide or direct the daily activities for assigned teams during delivery and rigging contractors while on site.
• The candidate will be required to perform the Test Readiness Review (TRR) of the Airport baggage handling system (BHS) to determine if it is compliant with the applicable Planning Guidelines and Design Standards (PGDS) and ready for TSA independent contractor testing.
• The candidate will be responsible to witness the independent contractor testing of the Airport BHS.
• The candidate will be responsible for facilitating communications and coordination between TSA HQ, local TSA, airport stakeholders, operations management, General Subcontractors, other TSA Vendors, airport authority representatives and state/ local government officials. This includes nightly emails when on site with rigging or testing activities, participating in teleconference meetings, and attending in-person meetings when possible.
• The candidate will be knowledgeable in the PGDS and exercise expert judgment and assess project, construction, and equipment installation best practices to conduct PGDS requirements analysis; review design drawings, specifications, and deliverables; installation, and acceptance testing; and oversee site clean-up and remediation.
• The candidate will successfully monitor the project schedule and keep the team appraised of any possible delays or modified plans to avoid any unnecessary costs to the customer.
• The candidate will review the airport sponsor’s requests for TSA reimbursement to validate that all work being invoiced for has been completed.
• The successful candidate will be a self-starter with high energy and initiative to easily adapt to dynamic, fast-paced work environments.
• Physical work locations may vary depending on the assigned airports and the deployment schedule. This position requires up to 75%+ travel to airport locations as assigned. Some work may require non-standard work shifts (during evening or weekends) to accommodate TSA requirements for minimal disruption to airport operations.
• Be well organized, take meeting minutes and disseminate to the team as required.
• Be able to multi-task in a fast paced, exciting environment.
• Be very responsive to Leidos, TSA and other stakeholders request for information, schedule updates, status reporting and forward planning.
• Be proactive and look forward in time to be fully prepared for future activities.
• Punctuality is mandatory; always be on-time or ahead of schedule as the site lead is typically the lead for various elements of their projects
Inline Site Leads shall have the following:
1. Minimum of 5-years of experience as a Project Manager on airport projects in a construction, Baggage Handling System/material handling and/or systems engineering environment (Exceptions must be approved by the COR).
2. Familiarity with the Planning Guidelines and Design Standards for Checked Baggage Inspection Systems.
3. Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
4. Possess a professional and courteous demeanor.
Qualifications must also include at least two (2) of the following:
1. Minimum of five (5) years of experience as a Project Manager on airport design and/or construction projects involving baggage handling systems, including basic proficiency with either Microsoft Project or Primavera scheduling software.
2. Minimum of five (5) years as a designer of complex baggage handling systems, including outbound sortation systems.
3. Minimum of five (5) years as an airport terminal planner/designer, with specific experience with construction phasing and airport/airline operations.
4. Minimum of five (5) years as a controls (electrical) engineer with expertise in Programmable Logic Controls (PLC) programming of complex baggage handling systems, including outbound sortation.
5. Execution of functional check-out and testing of at least five (5) outbound sortation systems, including matrixed and/or mini-inline checked baggage inspection systems (CBIS).
6. Mechanical and/or electrical installation of at least three (3) outbound sortation systems.
7. Minimum of three (3) years of experience as a Site Lead for the Electronic Baggage Screening Program (EBSP), with experience in conducting at least three (3) Test Readiness Reviews (TRRs).
8. Minimum of four (4) years of experience in the maintenance of complex baggage handling systems, including outbound sortation.
• B.S. Degree in a technical field such as Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering is desired.
• Professional certifications (i.e., Licensed PE, PMI® PMP, or General Contractor License) is a plus.
• Knowledgeable of MS Project, Primavera, or other scheduling tools.
• Demonstrative ability to effectively work with, coordinate/make assignments, and manage multi-disciplined teams of technical and project management professionals and interact as the liaison with the customer and stakeholders.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 75% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That’s why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.
JBLeidos / An Equal Opportunity Employer