Tucson, Arizona, United States
The Mechanical Subsystems Directorate (MSD) is searching for an engineer with experience in harness and interconnect design. In this position, the candidate will be responsible for developing technical solutions to a wide range of complex problems related to the entire product life cycle including proposal, design, prototyping, manufacturing, integration and test of various types of harness and interconnects (round wire and/or flex circuits) for multiple missile and/or other aerospace/defense related programs.
The candidate will have knowledge and understanding of the aerospace industry and possess extensive technical mechanical, electrical, or systems engineering expertise, as well as advanced knowledge with systems level insight. The candidate will be able to apply advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts to yield innovative harness and interconnect solutions to numerous and complex challenges.
On new programs, the candidate will be responsible for leading and managing the execution of harness and interconnect designs, which includes identifying and deriving system requirements, being responsible for the definition of mechanical outline and construction details, connector selection and specification, mechanical and assembly drawings, overseeing electrical layout, performing first order electrical analyses, and ownership of final technical data package. The candidate will be expected to manage proposal efforts that will be responsible for meeting cost, schedule, quality, and performance requirements for finished product.
The candidate is expected to be a key stakeholder in the development and success of major directorate and project goals. They are expected to produce results without oversight. The candidate will be able to coach and mentor junior engineers with respect to technical details of interconnect design as well as provide guidance as to the processes and procedures. They will participate in harness and interconnect improvement initiatives in an effort to reach process unification across the business. The position will require frequent interaction with senior personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations, and physical locations. It will also require periodic travel to harness and interconnect manufacturing facilities to support various missile programs.
Required Experience and Skills:
· A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in the design and manufacturing of flex, rigid flex and round wire harnesses for military and aerospace applications
· Must have a sound understanding of the design and manufacturing processes of harnesses and interconnects
· Must possess a thorough knowledge of industry specifications such as IPC/WHMA-A-620, SAE AS22759, J-STD-001, Mil-PRF-31032, IPC-6013, IPC-2221, and IPC-2223
· Must be able to lead, direct, and review the work of small to mid-size teams (8-15 people) comprised of both early career and experienced employees, to drive program/department results, provide feedback for employee performance, and assist with candidate hiring activities
· Ability to work with harness and interconnect manufacturers to support program needs and travel periodically to manufacturing facilities
· Must have very strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills, to effectively interact, both vertically and horizontally, with multiple teams, organizations, program/functional leadership, as well as customers
· Must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance
· U.S. Citizenship is required
Desired Experience and Skills:
· A minimum of ten (10) years of experience in the design and manufacturing of flex, rigid flex and round wire harnesses for military and aerospace applications
· Working knowledge of RMS processes and procedures
· Working knowledge the Creo Parametric modeling tool and industry drawing standards
· Previous mentoring experience
· Previous leadership and team execution experience
· Self-starter, ability to work independently
· Advanced degree in mechanical, electrical, or systems engineering
Required Education (Including Major):
BS Mechanical, Systems, or Electrical Engineering
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens. http://www.dss.mil/psmo-i/indus_psmo-i_interim.html
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) is the world leader in the design, development and production of missile systems for critical requirement including air-to-air, strike, surface Navy air defense, land combat missiles, guided projectiles, exo-atmospheric kill vehicles, missile defense and directed energy weapons. RMS is headquartered in Tucson, Arizona with over 13,000 employees operating at sites across the country and internationally.
JBRaytheon / An Equal Opportunity Employer