McKinney Texas United States
The Systems Validation, Test, and Analysis Directorate (SVTAD) is the central focus for all integration, verification, validation and test activities within Integrated Defense Systems (IDS). The more than 700 employees of SVTAD provide their expertise to ensure customer success through the design, development and execution of innovative and comprehensive test, verification and validation strategies, processes, tools and techniques. SVTAD employees are involved in all aspects of test including: design-for-test, integration, subsystem, and component level testing through Customer sell-off of IDS’ most sophisticated systems and technologies.
SVTAD Systems Engineering Intern
What is Systems Engineering? What does a Systems Engineer do? Systems Engineering contributes to programs throughout the entire product development lifecycle, from inception through development, sell-off, deployment, and operations and maintenance in the field.
Systems Engineers work within an interdisciplinary process that ensures that the customer’s needs are satisfied throughout a system’s entire life cycle. This process is comprised of the following seven tasks:
1. State the problem. Stating the problem is the most important systems engineering task. It entails identifying customers, understanding customer needs, establishing the need for change, discovering requirements, and defining system functions.
2. Investigate alternatives. Alternatives are investigated and evaluated based on performance, cost, and risk.
3. Model the system. Running models clarifies requirements, reveals bottlenecks and fragmented activities, reduces cost and exposes duplication of efforts.
4. Integrate. Integration means designing interfaces and bringing system elements together so they work as a whole. This requires extensive communication and coordination.
5. Launch the system. Launching the system means running the system and producing outputs to verify that the system does what it was intended to do.
6. Assess performance. Performance is assessed using figures of merit, technical performance measures, and metrics — measurement is the key. If you cannot measure it, you cannot control it. If you cannot control it, you cannot improve it.
7. Re-evaluation. Re-evaluation should be a continual and iterative process with many parallel loops.
Opportunities for SVTAD Interns require individuals to use engineering, math, and teamwork skills to perform various engineering activities, such as requirements development, system test and validation planning and execution, modeling and simulation, data analysis, flight test analysis, and overall systems integration. Successful Systems and Test Engineers are curious about the way things work and interact. Interns assist in the integration and testing for the complex defense systems of Raytheon’s IDS business product line. Testing includes hardware and software.
Duties could include developing test or integration strategies and procedures, debugging and testing functions and interfaces, conducting performance studies and data analysis on air defense, radar, ship or Homeland Defense systems and/or their subsystems. Writing data analysis tools is also part of our work along with supporting sophisticated state-of-the-art integration and test facilities. Interns work under the guidance of one or more experienced engineers. Some assignments offer the opportunity for short term travel.
If you are on your way to obtaining a BS, or MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Computer Science, here is your opportunity to pursue an exciting career with Raytheon’s SVTAD organization. Assignments are located in McKinney, TX
U.S Security Clearance as of day one of employment; U.S. citizenship required for clearance.
- Active participation in an accredited university program which will culminate in a B.S. or M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Computer Science
- GPA 3.0 or Higher
- Obtain DOD security clearance; U.S. citizenship is required.
- Interest in defense companies and defense work and producing NoDoubt solutions for our nation’s warfighters and first responders
- Educational background or interest in the following areas:
- Signal Processing and Control theory
- Statistics, random processes and detection methods
- Imaging / pattern recognition
- Data filtering and processing techniques (e.g. Kalman, batch, optimal)
- Cyber security, encryption, information assurance
- Radar Architecture or algorithms
- Model based engineering and architecture
- Simulating and modeling for school projects
- Experience using measuring tools such as Matlab® or LabVIEW™ for engineering assignments
- Candidate demonstrates interest in the integration, test, verification, and validation activities of complex systems by citing accomplishments from school projects, Co-ops, Internships or hobbies
- Strong computer skills: Perl, shell scripting, C, C++, real-time programming, Matlab, Ada, Java, Unix, Linux
- Strong math and analytical skills
- Radar or defense systems domain knowledge
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to pursue information (self-starter)
- Activity/ leadership in college campus organizations or community service
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office toolset (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Headquartered in Tewksbury, Massachusetts, IDS has 32 locations around the world. Its broad portfolio of weapons, sensors and integration systems supports its customer base across multiple mission areas, including air and missile defense systems; missile defense radars; early warning radars; naval ship operating systems; C5ITM products and services; and other advanced technologies. IDS provides affordable, integrated solutions to a broad international and domestic customer base, including the U.S. Missile Defense Agency, the U.S. Armed Forces and the Department of Homeland Security.
JBRaytheon / An Equal Opportunity Employer